Sunday, January 27, 2013

Repairing Chip in Stovetop


Flat top stoves are great when it comes to cleaning. The stove top can be bordered by an enamel trim. Our stove top border got chipped recently and I wanted to try and repair it. As it turns out there is a product you can buy called Rust-Oleum Specialty Appliance Epoxy Touch-Up. I found some at Home Depot for around $5.





It turned out to be a pretty simple process. Make sure the burners and oven are off and the appliance is cool to the touch. First you clean the area to be fixed. I used some isopropyl alcohol to clean. Next I shook the bottle of epoxy and then uncapped it. The cap has a brush. I lightly applied the first coat in to the chip area using a long stroke. Next I let it dry and then applied another coat. You do this till the layers build up and the chip is filled in.

As you can see from the below pictures it is not a perfect fix but it looks much better. From a distance and at  certain viewing angles one cannot tell it was repaired. What I am trying to determine if it can be sanded to make the repaired spot so it will be come flush with the rest of the stove border.






No comments: